Thursday, December 4, 2008

Team meeting

Time is running out for students here at the University of Maryland. Finals are rapidly approaching and fall sports are coming to an end and winter sports have already become. We are all on the ball trying to fit in study time with practice time, and preparing ourselves for competition. Just today after practice the men's track team had a group meeting at the Comcast Center in Heritage Hall to discuss plans for our upcoming season and the expectations that the school had for us both as a team and individually. My coach Andrew Valmon, spoke mainly about the men's scholarship situation and a new campaign for more scholarships. then he spot about roster spots and the travel team, meaning who would be competeing in meets where we have to travel to place like New York and Miami to run. I think this made a few of us, especially the freshmen like myself, a little bit nervous because this was our first time going through everything, and even though we were performing well on the track there are still sophomore's, juniors and seniors who have spots already. I find a little bit of comfort knowing that as a hurdler as well as a sprinter, he needs me to do my job than the six or seven people trying to run for a spot in the 400 dash. We all have to perform now. Our sport advisor Antwon Goff spoke to us briefly about what he expected to us and was very blunt and to the point, he wanted us to win and perform at the level that we were recruited at and better. I thought hard about something that was in a packet that he had handed out prior to the beginning of the meeting and it dawned on me that, I really needed to take advantage of this entire opportunity presented to me, despite whether I am going to travel as a hurdler or not I need to perform for this team. I am a sprinter and of the teams main sprinters at that. I know what is in me, i know that I am well adjusted and ready to finally take this all on and prove to myself and my coach that I can be counted on to provide a solid source of points for my team. This is what I love to do and I will continue to work hard at achieving the goals I set forth for myself. It is just in my nature to do so, I just needed to see it in a different light.

No comments: