Friday, December 12, 2008

Lack of sleep

So today was the last day of school for the first semester, the very first semester in college for freshmen. The past week was a rough one and I had to find a way to grind it out. Of course, all of you are aware that our rough draft for our final position paper and our final revised copy of fourth and final position paper was due today in class. I am not the type of person who can complete an essay in parts or on different occasions. I am also not the type of person who can complete an entire essay two, or even a week early. As I see it, I am a pressure writer because I almost always end up writing a great majority of my paper. So it is now Sunday night, 12:04 am to be exact, and all I have is the audience analysis. To make a long story short it took me about six hours to complete the first rough draft of my final position paper and then i save it onto my computer and went to sleep at approximately 6:24 am. I say first rough draft because that morning I woke up to revise it one more time before class. However, when I went to go save it onto my flash drive in order to print it from another laptop it did not show up. I went back and fourth from my computer to the other checking to see if I was missing it, but I wasn't. After failing to find my essay on the the flash drive I went back to my saved documents on my hard drive to look for it. But it was not there either, at this point I am starting to get angry because my flash drive and computer failed me, plus the fact that class was beginning in seven minutes. I continued to look for my essay, however, for another twenty minutes. Finally, I left my stuff and ran to class to explain my situation to Natalie. Of course, she was understanding and she let me leave from class to go to OIT across campus in the computer and space building. When I got there they did a recovery search on both my flash drive and on my computer with no positive results, meaning that I would have to retype the entire nine page essay over again. From the moment I found out that I would have to redo it I tried to keep it positive telling myself that God stole my essay from me so that I could produce one many time better. And I do believe that I did, since the second version of my rough draft was much more well written and fluid than the previous one. I was able to e-mail the new essay to Natalie by the next day after spending another six hours retyping it. Now, moving onto the final essay, again I was up into the wee hours of the morning revising and rechecking all the little nuances in the essay and finally decided to go to bed around five in the morning because my friend did not have any ink and neither did her roommate. I figured that when I woke up I would just go back and ask her other roommates if I could use their printer. It turned out this morning that everyone in the suite had run out of ink and at 9:00 in the morning there were not many people I would try calling and risk waking them up. At this point it is now 9:20 and I am a little angry, I rush over to Susquehanna thinking "It's the English building, they must have a printer so I can print this essay out." I was sadly mistaken, however, when I got there a man in the main office told me that I could not print anything in the building and that I would have to go all the way over to McKeldin to print out my essay. It now about 9:30 am or so, and I am running over to McKeldin to print out my essay along with my sources unknown to me that you have to have a terrapin express account in order to print, if not you have to purchase a print card. Furiously I purchase one with just enough money on it to print out everything I need. So now I am ready to print and insert my flash drive into the computer and I can not open my document. Again, I feel the wrath of God crushing me. Knowing that I have limited time to print out my essay I storm over to the front desk and inquire as to why I am unable to open up my documents on the computer. He explains that, the one's I was using were not as "advanced" as the ones behind the desk and allows me to use one. And so finally i am able to open and print out of my documents and have just enough time to sprint back over to my friends house gather my things and run back to class where I handed in my fourth and final English 101 paper. With such a trying ordeal, i would like to think that God had a plan for me and hopefully i can receive a big fat A on my final essay, I think I deserve it.

No comments: